I have a standard maintenance plan I use on my SQL Server 2005 instances. That plan includes the Check Database Integrity Task which I run on all databases. Recently, this task began failing on one of my test servers with this error:
Failed:(0) Alter failed for Server ‘MyTestServer’.
To troubleshoot I had the task generate the T-SQL by clicking the View T-SQL button and running the script that was generated, it was successful. I then verified the Agent account’s security: the server’s local SQLAgent user group had the correct permissions in SQL Server and the Agent’s login was a member of that local group.
After a quick Google search I found this issue on Microsoft Connect. It turns out the “allow updates” option on my server was set to 1. I used sp_configure to set “allow updates” back to 0 and the maintenance plan is working great.